Kukkutasana (Rooster pose)
by Javier – Mexico
Everything inside is Light, wisdom and knowledge.
- Helps to strengthen the joints of the wrists, elbows and shoulders.
- Brings about the toning as well as the development of the muscles.
- Helps in the improvement of the digestive system and improvement in the working of the intestinal system.
- Increases balance in the body.
- Is very beneficial for women in overcoming the hip pain and discomfort from menstruation.
- Invigorates the body and delights the mind.
- It also improves the functioning of the heart and lungs.
How to do Kukkutasana
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended straight in front of you, and your heels together. Keep your spine straight as you sit up tall.
- Bend your right knee and place your right foot on top of your left thigh. You can use your hands to help get your foot in this position. Then put your left foot on top of your right thigh. This is lotus pose.
- Move your arms through the space between your thighs and calves. Keep your arms near your knees and rest your hands on the ground below you.
Exhale and raise your body off the ground. All your weight will be supported and balanced in the palms of your hands. Your legs will be roughly parallel to your elbows.
- Hold this pose for a few seconds before returning to the ground. You may experience some shaking in your arms the first few times you perform the pose. The more you practice the pose, the stronger you will become. Aim to increase the amount of time you hold the pose every time you perform it.
• Have proficiency in the lotus pose before attempting the kukkutasana pose.